What I like about my job at Bear Country USA is the animals are very entertaining to watch. This job gives me the chance to hug a bear eventually. I will have more opportunities to interact with the animals when taking care of them during the winter.
We are excited to announce that the Goodwill Outlet Center will be expanding it’s hours of operation!
Starting October 21, 2020, the Outlet Center will be open Wednesday-Saturday from 10am to 8pm.
The Goodwill Outlet Center is located at 3100 W. 4th St., Sioux City, IA next to our retail store. We invite the community to come out and experience the thrill of the hunt. You can expect to find deep discounts by buying items by the pound (with the exception of furniture, electronics and large items).
The outlet store allows Goodwill to give a second chance to items that do not sell in our stores. This helps Goodwill further decrease contribution to landfills and maximizes every donation. Goodwill makes every effort to recycle items that do not sell through our retail program.
Sioux City Shoe & Mitten Program
Goodwill’s Sioux City Shoe & Mitten Program for 2020 will not take place this year to maintain safe practices during the ongoing pandemic. In place of this event Goodwill is partnering with local organizations to provide new shoes, socks, a hat and mittens to elementary aged children in need throughout the Siouxland community. There will not be a Shoe & Mitten Program onsite at Goodwill this year, although, we look forward to resuming the annual tradition in 2021!
Sioux Falls Shoe & Mitten Program
This year, Goodwill of the Great Plains’ three Sioux Falls, SD locations will host individual events for the Shoe and Mitten Program. This annual tradition provides new shoes, socks, a hat and mittens to elementary aged children in need. Families may visit one of the Sioux Falls Goodwill locations to register their child(ren) to participate. Registrations will be limited and provided on a first-come, first-served basis.
Sioux Falls Locations: 4701 E 41st Street; 120 N. Kiwanis or 3400 S Norton Ave.
Rapid City Shoe & Mitten Program
Goodwill’s Rapid City Shoe & Mitten Program for 2020 will not take place this year to maintain safe practices during the ongoing pandemic. In place of this event, Goodwill is partnering with local organizations to provide new shoes, socks, a hat and mittens to elementary aged children in need throughout the Rapid City community. We look forward to resuming this annual tradition in 2021!
Outlying Locations: Aberdeen, Brookings, LeMars, Marshall, Mason City, Mitchell, Norfolk, Pierre, Spencer, Storm Lake, Watertown, Worthington, Yankton
Goodwill of the Great Plains locations will continue to host the annual Shoe and Mitten Program for 2020, with modifications to the distribution process to maintain safe practices during the ongoing pandemic. Please visit your participating local Goodwill of the Great Plains location to register your elementary aged child(ren). Registrations will be limited and provided on a first-come, first-served basis.
Participating Goodwill Locations:
Aberdeen, SD; Brookings, SD; LeMars, IA; Marshall, MN; Mason City, IA; Mitchell, SD; Norfolk, NE; Pierre, SD; Spencer, IA; Storm Lake, IA; Watertown, SD; Worthington, MN and Yankton, SD.
Fort Dodge, IA will also be participating in the Shoe and Mitten Program, offering shoes, socks, hats and mitten for preschoolers ages 3-5.
Do you have a few old t-shirts you longer use? Give them a new life by creating an easy patriotic wreath perfect for the 4th of July. (Need some t-shirts? Stop by Goodwill and grab a few for this fun DIY. )
- 1 of each t-shirt color of red, white, and blue
- Hot glue gun
- Hot glue sticks
- Ruler or measuring tape
- Patriotic garland
- Patriotic bow
- Gather old red, white, and blue t-shirts (or old towels and linens can work also).
2. Cut the t-shirts into at least 8-10 strips approximately 17 inches (height) x 2 1/2 inches (width)
3. Fold the blue strips together accordion style.
4. Glue each section together using a hot glue gun.
6. Glue each strip together around the wreath ring.
7. Repeat steps 3-6 while alternating between the red and white strips.
8. Gather tinsel garland
9. Wrap garland around the wreath and glue together.
10. Grab a patriotic bow.
11. Glue the bow to the wreath and proudly place your finished wreath on your front door or in your living room.
Goodwill has implemented new safety procedures to minimize contact between employees and donors. This simple self-serve process lets donors place items in bins outside the donation door for a contactless donation.
Goodwill’s contactless donation drop off guidelines:
- Hours: Monday-Saturday 11am to 7pm and Sunday 10am to 6pm (Closed Memorial Day)
- Please pre-sort items. All clothing can be placed together in a box or bag and all other household items can be grouped together.
- One person at a time. Please be patient as you may need to wait in line.
- You unload donations yourself. Place your pre-sorted items in each bin, either “Clothing Donations” or all other items will go in “Wares Donations”.
- If you need a receipt, ask the donation attendant at time of donation.
- Please practice social distancing at all times.
Thank you for your continued support to Goodwill!